Monday, April 28, 2014

How I Met Reality

Have you tried getting slapped by reality?

In case you haven’t, let me give you a heads up. It can either leave you thinking like you’ve got the whole world on your shoulders, or it could leave you excited as a kid about to watch his favorite television show. Unfortunately for me, reality gave me a really hard slap on the face that left me feeling excited because I finally realized I have the world on my shoulders. Yes, it’s driving me crazy; reality can also make you nuts, too.

Let me tell the story of how I met reality.


It all began when my mother told me that I should become an intern for the newspaper she’s working for as editor in chief. I didn’t know at that time, but that was already reality knocking on my life’s door.

I was excited… at first. I mean, who wouldn’t be excited? It was an opportunity I had to grab because 1. It was my mother talking, 2. It had everything to do with the college program I’m in, and 3. What else was I supposed to do for an extended summer vacation?

Fast forward to last Friday, April 24, 2014. I had the chance to hold a legit interview, for a legit newspaper, because of a legit event! Yes, that interview was somehow another milestone in my life (note: refer to ‘legit’ written three times in just one sentence). I guess I was in luck because after that interview, I got a free yoga session!

It felt great— both the interview and the yoga experience.

Yet, as I sat down our living room sofa, feeling my body ache, it dawned upon me that I had a bigger challenge: writing the article.

Pakshet! I was able to interview one of Manila’s best yoga instructors, plus I was given a free yoga session. And it’s up to me to write about that amazing experience.

So. Much. Pressure.

That, my friends, is a sign that reality is slowly sinking in.

The question you might be asking now is, “How, exactly, did reality ‘slap’ you in the face?”

Allow me to, again, fast forward to today. Today, my mom’s office celebrates some anniversary of some sort (sorry, I don’t want to expose what exactly the name is). After the dinner, people went home one by one (or not, but you get my point). The only people left were my mom, some of her old colleagues, and I.

It’s actually a long story so let me just say that what they talked about made me realize something.

They made me realize that damn it, reality slapped me in the face and said, “Listen to them, lady. You have to start taking college seriously. You have to know that there is no more turning back, and whatever you choose now will either make or break your future.”

Yes, reality’s right.  And yes, reality sure is making me so damn crazy right now.

That is the story of how I met reality.